Monday, April 7, 2014

April 7, 2014

"The wider we open our eyes, the more we see."

That message came in an email today from a potential business collaborator.

I've been very blessed most recently by the support of friends and colleagues, but also from some more unlikely sources and actually, from time to time...complete strangers.

I've been a recipient of words of wisdom, messages of support and even a gift card or two.

My longtime friend, Leslie, reminded me recently (as we exchanged emails over tough times) of a line from Frank Capra's classic “It’s a Wonderful Life.” 

“No man is a failure who has friends.” 

That’s us," she said. 

Incidentally, "It's a Wonderful Life" is considered one of the most loved films in American cinema, based on the short story "The Greatest Gift". It was one of the most critically acclaimed films ever made, nominated for 5 Oscars and recognized by the American Film Institute as one of the 100 best films EVER made. It also placed on the Institute's list of the most inspirational films of all time. Frank Capra, himself, revealed that it was his personal favorite of all the films he directed.

And it's true.  "No man is a failure who has friends." 

My friends have sent quick texts, emails and messages of support with regularity. 

And they continue to read this blog, day after day, to keep track of Harry and I. One friend and former colleague said it was how she knew we were both "O.K." And she liked knowing that.

Old and dear friends in California (Santa Ana) sent a card a couple of weeks ago filled with hope and a surprise.

There was an image on the card of a young deer amidst the devastation of land charred by wildfire. The picture was made by my friend and tucked away among many, many other images of the day, until, she said, a card company saw the image and asked to use it. 

Now, she says, she recognizes that image's inherent message of hope and life and is inspired by it herself. 

That card was accompanied by two gift cards: one to support Harry's addiction to mango yogurt and one to treat Mommy at Starbucks. 

Such a wonderful surprise. Such an act of kindness. So unexpected and greatly appreciated.

Other friends and colleagues have sent alerts to job postings, notes about opportunities that they have heard about or that are worth checking out. And some, as I have mentioned, have offered their connections to help with introductions or endorsements that would lead to other opportunities.  

And complete strangers that I've struck up conversations with during the course of the day, have left me with good wishes for the future, "I know there is something out there for you, and you'll find it soon." 

Nice.

Really...very nice.

Tomorrow is my second interview with my prospective employer.  

BIG sigh.

I'm nervous. 

That lump in my throat is growing bigger and bigger as the day goes by.

I'm usually very confident, professionally, but the time that has passed since I've been gainfully employed has taken its toll, honestly.

There is so much riding on this one video interview...

I not only want this job, but I now need this job.

Harry and I need so much to get back to our life together. 

I need to feel again, that I am contributing with purpose, I need for Harry to be in a situation where he is getting the most opportunity available to him and being challenged to learn and thrive at a level that is appropriate.

We need our own routine, our own home, our own life back.

I need to pray for a sliver tongue tomorrow. 

I've been working on my mantra for the interview.  A bit corny, yes, I know, but also necessary.

"I have the talent, skills, knowledge and experience that you need with the inherent capacity for excellence that you want." 

Wish me Luck.  

If I'm honest, articulate, true to myself and maintain a sense of humor, I'll be fine.

All gestures of support are welcome.


If these walls could talk...



No comments:

Post a Comment