Friday, March 28, 2014

March 28, 2014

After some studying...

I'd forgotten about this a little bit when the trees were covered with snow, but there are painful reminders now that the spring melt is taking hold.

Right before the first major snow of the winter, when we'd already entered some pretty consistently cold temperatures, we came upon a big digger-like machine, apparently equipped with a very dull saw-like feature on it's front end hacking away at the trees that line the roadway on our way to school.  

It's our regular route to school and back home.

A narrow country road. 

This big machine was hacking and chopping and ripping and shredding of trees on both sides of the road for several days. Lumbering from one point to the next like a big, overgrown yellow monster.

Why?

It seems that it was some state or county government official's idea of how to approach the challenge of making certain the sight lines along the road were clear of branches.

It looks more like an F5 tornado ripped branches from the trunks of otherwise healthy trees. Leaving shredded wooden debris in its wake.

And the sight lines?

There were inexplicably NO issues BEFORE the hacking and chopping and ripping and shredding.

It might sound silly, but it really is painful...at least uncomfortable.

To see the trees so damaged and so injured.

And of course, they just left all the debris where it fell.

Left it along the roadside.

I wish I could take another route to drop off and pick up Harry from school every day, but it's really the only way to get to Miss Margie's. 

Harry has asked me what happened to the trees, but how do you explain something so ridiculous to a 4-year-old?

I can't even understand it myself.


The trees.
No where near the road.
The pictures don't really capture the scene completely. 

Senseless and stupid. 

Harry would quickly admonish me for using the word "stupid." I've told him that it's not a nice word and that he shouldn't say it. But I can't think of a more appropriate term at the moment.

I think Harry would forgive me. 

Just this once.


Our mini greenhouse shows promise.
Oh, and the pie?

It was yummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment