Friday, February 28, 2014

February 28, 2014

Last day of February.

Very cold today. Feels like -8 degrees below zero.

Coldest temperatures of the Century for some.  I think we might be included, if not officially then certainly by mere personal opinion.

I got the email that I was so excitedly waiting for from the possible 3-month freelance job this morning and unfortunately they have decided to continue working with their current picture editor. It was difficult to read, difficult to accept. But accept it, I did...and quickly. There is absolutely no time to fret over the proverbial spilt milk

The email was very complimentary about my experience, my ideas, my resume, my organization and my aesthetic and left room for working together in the future. Again, even rejection done in the most professional and kind way...is still rejection. It's tough. But resiliency is one of my acquired characteristics, having to bounce back from my share of disappointment in 53 years on the earth.

In the least, I've made a new friend named Molly. And that...is a good thing.

(I do feel as though I should quickly send off an email to another friend and former school mate who is so keenly worried about Harry and me...tell him I still have hope, still have some possibilities and that I still voraciously devour all the job search websites, network groups and keep in touch with my friends in the business absolutely every day. And that March begins tomorrow. We are getting closer and closer to spring and renewal. And that, too...is a good thing.) 

Sigh.

The record cold continues and even the heartiest of the long-time residents have begun to complain about the temperatures. My sister leaves for work every morning at 6:30 a.m., for her job at a local school as the self-proclaimed "lunch lady." She's greeted temperatures of minus 13 degrees the last few mornings. "Boy, that's cold!" She's said while shuddering her shoulders for added emphasis. And everything is covered with solid ice. Warming temperatures one day, met by the liquid melt and refreeze of another day, left Mom's (and my sister's) driveway a solid sheet of ice. 

Tracks over solid ice.
Mom bought about 50 pounds of playground sand to sprinkle over the entire driveway (always keeping the environment in mind, she chose sand over the myriad of ice melts available here.) There's a light layer of new snow over the ice which reveals some of the animals that frequent the yard. There were opossum tracks (although my brother-in-law says they are raccoon and I have yet to look them up in Mom's local wildlife book for authentication), birds, rabbits and one group that I couldn't really identify, nor could anyone else.


Opossum?
Bird on the front steps.
We are making a big trip to Costco Saturday morning...in Madison.  Family outing. My sister, her daughter and her daughter's daughter, Mom, Harry and me, all stuffed into my sister's van. Options for shopping are limited and I've expressed my feelings in the past about the local Wal-Mart, so I won't do that again. It's nice to have the option of Costco, only 50 miles by major highway. We haven't made the trek in some time and we all have our own lists and lists of other family members.


Selfie in the late afternoon winter light.
Looking forward to the season of renewal, I'm thinking of starting some seed plants that Harry and I can plant when the ground begins to thaw. The growing season is short in Wisconsin it seems, but growing up we had a wonderful vegetable garden and a beautiful cut-flower garden. I'd like Harry to have that experience too, but perhaps not on the scale as when we were children. The gardens were huge and took a great deal of attention and tending to. It is a very fond memory, though, seeing things come to life and to grow to produce the vibrant colors of tomatoes, carrots, onions, Irises, Zinnias, sunflowers and many other things. And looking back on the size of the two gardens, it's all the more an impressive memory!

Maybe we'll make that a little journey this weekend as well, buying seedlings to start Harry's garden and making new memories of renewal, growth and childhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment