Tuesday, January 28, 2014

January 28, 2014

I guess I need to start out fast on this one. As I knew would happen, I've recently gotten a little feedback on some of my blog posts and because of the kind of feedback it is, I think I should…well, just explain...

My brother snuck up on me in the Public Library yesterday and in the course of our brief conversation said that he knew I was feeling a bit sad. I looked at him, a little puzzled… and he went on to say that he had been reading my blog. He said that he didn’t really want to read it because it was “sad,” but that I was his sister and that he was trying to be supportive, so read it, he did. He gave me a kiss on the cheek and smiled his killer smile.

Then today, I got an extremely heartfelt email from a former college schoolmate and a colleague in the business. It was a long, well written, packed with advice, email. He said he hoped that I wouldn’t be offended.  Honestly, I really appreciated the thought and especially the time he took to write such a lengthy correspondence. He said that he knew I was “sad,” and advised me to be careful about “exposing yourself so openly” while looking for a job. He said he appreciated my frankness in such a personal life account, but cautioned me about linking it to my professional profile and accomplishments.

When I first starting writing the blog, I was looking for some quick feedback, so I asked my long-time friend, Leslie, what she thought. She wrote: “I think it’s a great way to get to know you. It’s real and honest and your priorities and experience rings through loud and clear.”

I had intended it to be just that; an honest, open diary of sorts, describing what it’s like for one person – me - to be a single parent of a small child; a successful, experienced professional, now unemployed and facing real challenges. It was supposed to be personal and real and was intended to share my thoughts and feelings…and hopes...my struggles and my victories.

She went on; “For the kind of job you’re wanting (a real executive job in a position of trust and high compensation), I think every chance that you can show who you really are is a good one. Keep writing. People respond to honesty and clarity of thought. All the stuff you’re doing for your mom – shows that you are still young, strong and very physically able on the inside and the outside. And, that you have a heart of gold. It’s you.”

I have felt sad, at times, since losing my job. I think that’s pretty normal. But I am not sad as a matter of course. I am actually a very resilient and tenacious person. I don’t give up easily. I like to succeed. I like to accomplish things, solve problems, and find creative solutions to every...single…challenge that I am faced with.

So, I think I’ll go on writing openly and honestly, sharing my journey with whoever might like to read what I write, and we’ll see where it will take us.

By the way, the high today was 1 degree above zero.

Everything is looking up!

Leaves cling to a tree in the last days of fall.
Finding beauty in the simplest of things.

No comments:

Post a Comment