Tuesday, May 27, 2014

May 27, 2014

Well…the day I’ve been waiting for is finally here.

Travel today.

Interview tomorrow.

Nervous?

Not yet.

Mom’s advice: “Just be yourself.”

Of course, Mom, that’s who I am.  Me.

I know what she means.

Almost a year of unemployment has reinforced that lesson in many ways.

I’ve had just a slightly rough start on my way.

I missed the airport exit off the highway.

I realized it, just as I passed it.  I had been looking for the airport sign, but I’m not sure now that one exists.

It’s the back way into the airport, not through the city.

The one I’ve taken alone and with family probably a hundred times.

I remembered pointing out the colorful water tower (that marks that exit) to Harry on one of our family pilgrimages to Costco.

I looked for the next exit and made plans to just turn right back around, onto the highway and head back to the exit I knew.

I’d given myself more than an hour of leeway.

Sometimes instincts are well served.

I toyed, momentarily, with the idea of going through the city.

There were signs indicating the airport route. But I dismissed that idea within seconds, running mini scenarios through my head of being delayed by unexpected things.

More unexpected things.

Best to go the route that I was familiar with.

So…first exit, back around onto the highway and exit Hwy 51.

I’d forgotten how close to the airport that route really was until a huge jet zoomed loudly (and very low) over my head and quickly touched down, landing on the runway just to the left.

The back door to the airport winds past Dan’s Taxidermy, Camperland RV (where I saw a couple at the entrance, locked in a long embrace), and a fresh honey stand.  A quick left just past the North District Police Station onto Darwin Road and you find yourself at the airport and are quickly directed to the choice of economy or regular parking.

Again experiencing a bit of uncharacteristic indecision, I turned toward economy parking, but soon redirected myself to another U-turn and proceeded closer to the airport, choosing the $10/day parking option.

After all, I’ll be back in WI tomorrow night.

A quick check-in presented one point of curiosity. 

The kiosk wouldn’t allow me to choose a seat for my connecting flight. The screen displayed this warning: This flight may have been overbooked.  Please check in at the terminal.

Another moment of discomfort.

I checked with the desk. The woman behind the counter kept averting her eyes when she tried over and over again to explain what that might mean and finally she settled on: “They just want you to purchase a seat upgrade.  You can check in at the gate when you get there.”

I had just paid $12 to upgrade my seat from Madison to Chicago. I hate flying in the back of the plane (my seat assignment 22A), so I paid $12 to sit in seat 3A.

It was an investment in comfort.

I wasn’t sitting in the gate area for even 5 minutes when an announcement came across the address system.

“Anyone who is going to Chicago, does not have any checked baggage and wants to take an earlier flight, please check in at Gate 6. 

I was at Gate 5.

I quickly gathered my things and made straight for Gate 6.

Then…I hesitated.

Maybe I should just follow the original plan, I thought.

I slowed my pace and took a seat to check my ticket and flight times again.

Yes.  I will just stick with the original plan.

I hadn’t been back in my seat at Gate 5 for even two minutes when another announcement was made.

This one cancelled my flight to Chicago. The one with the upgraded seat.

The announcement went on to say that the new, available flight would arrive in Chicago after 8 p.m.

My connecting flight for DC left Chicago at 7 p.m.

The tiniest bit of panic set in.

Stay calm and just breathe.

The next announcement called for passengers on that cancelled United flight to come to the desk for rebooking.

I stood patiently behind the first woman in line.

Patiently and quietly behind the first woman in line.

For just a moment, I thought about how I should have taken that announced flight, how I should have just gotten on that plane and I would be on my way by now…

I shook my head to myself. Even sighed out loud.

Then I stopped.

Out of my control.

Focus on the task of getting to DC.

A  young woman who I had first encountered at the original United check-in counter (pre-security) was on the phone quickly to her mother, explaining the delay.

When she had arrived at the United counter for check-in, she had flopped three huge, packed bags onto the scales, saying she had just packed everything up and left her apartment for good.  She was on her way to New York City.

Her bags were well over 50 pounds each, which required a substantial fee, the woman behind the counter explained.

The young woman protested…substantially.

An explanation of the fees followed:  $25 for the first bag, $35 for the second bag and $100 for an overweight bag.

“Seriously?” the young woman said loudly.

I lost interest in the drama and went back to my own check-in process.

The young woman now spoke loudly on her cell phone, “Mother, you are not listening to what I am saying.  Listen to what I just said... My flight was just cancelled. I don’t know what to do. I won’t make my connection in Chicago.”

She continued the explanation, obviously annoyed and adding, “O.K., you just don’t get it.  Goodbye.”

And she hung up…on her Mother.

The thing is…they were going to put her on another flight, routing her straight to New York.

She just had to be a little bit patient.

Just a little bit.

Problem solved.

Drama over. 

Again.

Anyway, I was rebooked on a Delta flight that was actually in the boarding process, just 5 gates away.

I stepped lively down to the new gate and got my seat assignment.

It was a direct flight to DC.  I frankly did not even know that there was such a thing from Madison, WI.

The plane boarded and we left the gate.

We taxied out onto the runway, but quickly pulled over to the side of the taxiway.

An announcement.

“Because of the weather in and around DC and actually the weather between here and there,” Captain Jose explained. “We have been asked to sit tight here for a little while.”

A “little while” was about 30 minutes.

Talk about emotional starts and stops!

I reminded myself that delays like that are made for safety reasons and are most assuredly out of my control.

Breathe.

Take off was a little wobbly.

Getting to cruising altitude a little rough.

The flight so far…is fine.

Although, I have been doing a lot of praying.

I always pray on flights.

Helps me to feel more…at peace.

I’ll just say one more quick one for Captain Jose’s skill set and that will be it.

…until we start our descent.

Then, just another…little…quick one.

I’ll be really happy to be on the ground again.

One step closer.

Interview starts in the morning.

Need to be in the lobby at the security desk at 9:45 a.m.

I haven’t worn high heels for a year…should be fun!

Wish me luck...and maybe say a little…quick…prayer?

Flying around the weather.
…..

Oh, my, my, my, that was a bumpy ride.

Captain Jose announced that the weather cell that we had been dodging all along was now centered over Reagan National, forcing us to spend some time “leisurely enjoying the southern Maryland landscape.”

When we were cleared to approach and land…well…it was bumpy.

There was lightning just beyond the left wing.

There was lightning just beyond the right wing.

We were pushed to the left.

We were pushed to the right.

We were raised and then dropped by the air pockets.

Did I mention it was bumpy?

Anyway…safe on the ground, we stopped just short of the gate.

Another communication from Captain Jose.

Seems that the ground crew could not extend the gateway to the plane because of the lightning.

It just wouldn't be safe.

We sat for another 10 minutes and then were allowed to finish our arrival and approach to the gateway.

Very happy to be on solid ground again.

Very happy.


1 comment: